Woodturning Online

Woodworking Online Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
SEGMENTING BOWL CALCULATOR

Post SEGMENTING BOWL CALCULATOR
Good Evening,
I am new to this board. I have been turning for about two years now on a mini lathe. Lots of projects with more to come now that I have retired from the Navy after 33 years.
I have done a few segemnted bowls and when I did these I did all the calculations on paper. After LOML bought me this new laptop I found a few calculator online that did all this for me, all I had to do was to put the size and number of segments I was going to use in the bowl and the calculator did it all for me. I know there are programs you can BUY, but I do not want to do that.
I saved this calculator on my hard drive, but recently my hard drive crashed. The folks at Dell said I had a faulty one. Now that I am up and running I can not find that calculator.
I was hoping someone out there can point me to the website, any takers?
Thank you

Carl
USN AOCM(AW/SW) RET

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Post Re: SEGMENTING BOWL CALCULATOR
Welcome to the forum. I know I have it somewhere on my computer but can't find it. For the moment, until I can either find it or embarrass myself with failure, have a look at these:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/_ ... ogram.html

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/tips.php?TIP=calc

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/calc.xhtml

http://www.turnedwood.com/software.html

http://www.segmentedturning.com/software.htm

http://www.delorie.com/wood/compound-cuts.html

http://www.turnedwood.com/FrameMiterBowl.html

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:06 am

Thank you very much. Not the sites where I found the original calculator but they will help me.

Carl

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:38 am

I have a program labeled 'Segments' by Tony Leonard that does what you are looking for. Try Google to find it, best of luck. :D

Clint

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:40 pm

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/article1.htm

Look for
"("Segment Angle and Length Calculator by Tony Leonard) It can be downloaded here ."
in the first paragraph beneath the image.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:21 am

Nutturner,
BINGO, that is the calculator I had found before. Thank you very much. :D
Carl

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:41 am

You are quite welcome, of course. I can only take credit for posting the actual link. I never could find my own file on that calculator. Credit for actually running the verbiage that allowed me to do that has to go to "Clint5699". I guess that's why we consider this forum a team effort.
Thanks for sharing that, Clint.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:59 am

YUP, thanks to Clint as well. I have a bad habit of reading things to fast and only recalling the last bit of information I read sometimes.
I just finished a lidded bowl yesterday. It turned out very nice, in fact it is the first lidded box/bowl I have made that I feel really happy with. A walnut bowl with a Holly top and Ebony finial. I need to work on my finials a bit, but the wife really loved it so I guess that is all that counts. The holly had some nice sap wood running through and that set the bowl right off.
I tried doing another one today, twice, and I blew out the bowl both times. But the second I think I can save it since the blow out was not that bad. I glued some shavings into and called it a day.

Carl

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:07 pm

Carl, I was having trouble with finials and my frustration level was growing out of sight. I bought a complete set of miniature turning tools and began to practice turning miniature goblets with decorative features on the stem. When I got to the point that I could turn a goblet successfully that was smaller than a dime I discovered that it was the size of the tools, not my lack of experience, that had been getting in my way. You've been turning for quite a while so you may have already discovered the values of using miniature tools but, if you haven't, perhaps that little story will help.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Welcome to the vortex Master Chief! I retire from Naval service 11 years ago and know work for the DOD as a Tech Rep. I just got off the GW while on tech assist and am in Atsugi right now. I've been segmenting for about 8 years and turning for twenty. I prefer to calculate my segments by hand. Just real old school I guess. Enjoy the site and turning!

Walt

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:01 am

Walt,
What a small world, this is. I was on the GW for almost seven years. I was supposed to ride the GW to Japan but I got very sick in OCT 2007. So sick I lost 50 pounds and they put me in the hospital. The doctors told me I would not be making that last cruise and by the time they did the surgeries on me it would be time for me to retire ( I retired 1 JAN 09).
I was the Weapons Dept LCPO and by the time I retired I spent 22 years at sea out of my 30 years. Still no job, but I have not been looking hard, not sure I want to work, but I do get a little bored.
Still waiting on the VA to get back to me on my compensation even though it has been over the 60 day limit under the BDD program, but at least all the bills are paid with my retirememt. Now that the weather is getting warmer at least I can turn a bit.
I am assuming you live in the Tidewater area? I live close to the VA Beach Courthouse (Southgate Develpoment)

Take care
Carl

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 am

Carl, I'm out of Lemoore, CA. and live in Hanford. There are a few of us old salts who enjoy turning. Good luck with the job search and dealing with the VA. Happy turning!

Walt

Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]