Woodturning Online

Woodworking Online Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Punky wood

Post Punky wood
Hi,

I've been reading posts in this forum for a few months and have picked up a lot of good information, so I hope someone might be able to help me out. I turn small bowls and containers mainly.

I have a nice piece of spalted maple, but it is very old. Some of the wood is quite punky, but a lot is still useable.

I'd like to know if there is a way to stabilize the softer areas. I've tried C/A, but it doesn't penetrate well enough.

Maybe I'm just wasting my time, but I really hate to throw away pretty wood.

Thanks,

John

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:11 am

Post Re: Punky wood
a lot of people use Pentacryl on punky wood. http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?P ... ilyID=1793

Bowlmaker

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi Jbell
PVA glue is a far easier, cheaper but somewhat time consuming, way of stablising gooey patches. The glue should be thinned at anything up to 90% plain water. The more H2O the deeper the mix will penetrate. For really bad stuff start at the above mix, flood the wood and leave to cure (24 Hours to be sure) before mixing another batch at about 50/50 and doing the same again.
Let us know how you get on.
Brian

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:34 pm

you can thin out your CA with actone to get it to run or penetrate better. If you dont have any actone, try the wifes nail polish remover....dont get caught :lol: tho'

I tend not to worry about life as I'm not gonna get out of it alive

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Hey, that's a new one on me Hughie but are you sure the disadvantages of working with acetone don't outweigh the obvious benefits over good old-fashioned water?
All the best from over here
Brian

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:11 pm

I've been using http://www.minwax.com/products/wood_maintenance_and_repair/high_performance_wood_hardener.html for a while now with good results. It penetrates deeply and has stabilized some very punky spalted beech that otherwise I'd have had to abandon.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]