Woodturning Online

Woodworking Online Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
turning ash

Post turning ash
I helped my brother yesterday clean up some trees that had fallen into one of our hayfields. I believe that they are ash and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience turning this species. I am just beginning in my so called career as a wood turner. I was hoping to at least try to turn some small bowls from this if for nothing more than practise.

Thu May 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Post Re: turning ash
Ash is one of my favorite woods for both flat work and turning. It has a bold figure and some logs have a wonderful contrast between the heart wood and sap wood. Since you are in Ohio I hope you are aware of and have taken precautions against the spread of the emerald ash borer. It is a serious threat in the area where I live. The main thing is to not transport the wood from an area where the insects are present to an area where they are not. The logs should be de-barked on site and any larva dealt with before transporting the wood anywhere.

This is a pic of an ash bowl that was mostly heart wood and had a bit of curly figure:

This is a small end grain box I turned from ash:

Take care
Bob

Thu May 14, 2009 5:13 pm
Profile WWW

Both of those pieces are beautiful work. We are aware of the emerald ash borer and they already have restrictions on the transport of ash out of our county and the surrounding ones. But it is like every other rule it is up to the integrity of each individual to abide by them because I really don't know how it can effectively be enforced.

Thu May 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Welcome to the forum.
When I was doing flat work I used to make cutting boards out of ash. It's HARD ... very hard. But I love to work with it. You're lucky to have access to so much of a good thing.

Thu May 14, 2009 10:07 pm

sfmc wrote:
But it is like every other rule it is up to the integrity of each individual to abide by them because I really don't know how it can effectively be enforced.

You said a mouth full. That's the trouble with passing laws - they only affect law-abiding people. That's why it's so important to limit their scope, so they don't steal the freedom of the common citizen. The dirtbags won't care.

OK, off the law-enforcement box. I like to turn our local black ash, but you have to go south to find the white. Time to make some mallets for yourself and your friends, as the wood makes ideal handles, and with generous rounding of the edges, a pretty good striking surface as well. Split out some billets for use on your next axe or maul handles too.

BURN the bark.

Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]