Woodturning Online

Woodworking Online Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
What is the differance between Danish, Tung and Teak oil

Post What is the differance between Danish, Tung and Teak oil
Have just started using Danish as it was the only one that came in a small tin, up untill now I have been using beeswax. The Danish works great but would like a few opinions before I restock.

Thu May 28, 2009 5:28 am

Post Re: What is the differance between Danish, Tung and Teak oil
"Danish" is definitively a pastry, but as an oil it can be linseed/tung/soy, or a mix, fortified with alkyd, phenolic, or even urethane resin to give it a bit of hardness. No standards exist that I am aware of. Sounds like you're into the Watco products if you're talking "teak" - which it isn't - oil and Danish. Their Danish is a phenolic resin again, I believe. when they were part of Thompson-Minwax, it went to alkyd.

Anyway, you pay your money and take your chances. I like shellac on "looker" turnings, and wipe-on poly on users, so that's what I stock.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/finish2.html

Thu May 28, 2009 8:42 am

Been using Rustins Danish Oil and am happy with it but would like to know what else is out there that might be better. Brand names won't be of much help I would think but I see Rustins is worldwide

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:58 am

Hi Fergus
Sorry can't join in with Michael's chemical fest but the main differenece between 'Teak' and 'Danish' oil, in use, is that the former dries matt whereas the latter has a sheen which builds with the number of coats applied.
Incidentally I met Ronnie Rustin before he died some years ago, he was a real gent and what he didn't know about finishes wasn't worth knowing.
All the best
Brian

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 am

Cheers for that Brian I will stick with what I am using as it has been doing a great job but if you don't ask then you will never know

Cheers

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:49 am

Hi Fergus
I wonder if you might like to try the following:- Sand down to 320 grit as normal (slowing the lathe speed every time you change grits) before liberally coating the piece, with a brush, with as much oil as it will take without dripping. Wet a piece of 400 grit with oil and work the abrasive slowly over the piece 2 or 3 times at your slowest lathe speed, this will work up an oil/wood slurry which will be forced into any open grain or other miniscule crevices. Timing becomes important at this stage because you want to catch the oil-on-the-surface while it is still liquid but to leave the impregnated slurry in place. Wipe off the excess and lightly buff the piece to work up a little heat. Leave overnight to dry and the surface will feather up and feel a bit rough again but will improve out of sight with a second dose of the same treatment. After a couple or three goes (using forward and reverse if you have one). the wood will be feeling just like silk. If you feel the need to go down to 600 grit for the latter treatments do so but, personally, I've found no advantage in going finer.
I believe this technique offers the finest, deepest and most pleasant-feeling finish available but it comes at the cost of a little time.
After the oil is completely dry you can give the piece a coat of paste wax if you want a higher shine.
Give it a go and let me know how you get on.
Regards from over here
Brian

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 am

Good info... Thanks !
rc

Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Cheers for that Brian but don't think my lathe will go slow enough. Most of what I turn is hard wood and has a great shine before oiling but will give it a go on a bowl I have just about finished.
I am starting to get the hang this turning lark now, now all I need is a proper bowl gouge and I will be away.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:20 am

Hi Fergus
There is nothing to stop you using the same oily technique turning the lathe by hand.
I'm more than a little interested to hear that you've almost finished a bowl BEFORE you own a bowl gouge, did sharpening a finger nail clog up your grindstone by any chance?
All joking aside, we often lose sight of the fact that we turn for enjoyment so no matter what you produce, or how you produce it, so long as you are gaining enjoyment... and not getting hurt in the process... you are succeeding.
Regards fom over here
Brian

Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:04 am

G'day again Brian, I have turned quite a few nice bowls so far but I am sure it would be easier with a bowl gouge. Yes my lathe is too fast for your oil tip, lucky I had the foresight to hold an old bucket over/around the bowl before turning it on. Will post some photos soon. I use a home modified wet wheel for sharpening and as I do it free hand it works well.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:49 am

Drop back in to this thread for a few thoughts. Sandpaper grades. Euro system P 400 is CAMI 320. If the "G'day" is from down under, might be even another system. Makes a difference to people who sand by the numbers rather than their eyes and talk of expensive meshes and Mylars of 1000 grit.

Probably the easiest method for getting a glow on the wood prior to finishing is the old technique of burnishing. Here's P400 followed by a grocery bag.

Inside turned and finished same. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/ ... terior.jpg

I don't apply finishes on the lathe. Too messy, and they streak round and round if they streak, instead of almost invisibly with the grain of the wood. Don't wet sand wood with SiC wet paper either, especially for light colors. Black grit in the pores doesn't favor it. Last reason is sort of weird, but the piece will normally be viewed on its feet, with light from overhead, and I hate craning my neck.

Only advantage to applying an oil finish, or an oil finish with any concentration of resin from Danish to brushing is that you can decrease the viscosity for better penetration with heat. Also possible by adding a solvent or warming in a mini crockpot, or both.

EDIT As to "bowl" or "spindle" gouges, the wood sees only the edge, not the name. If you need the reach or the scoop you should get a longer, stronger gouge.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:29 am

G'day, Well here is a photo of some of july's efforts. Very light colored bowl at front has no finish on it yet as it is a test run for laser engraving, the insert is another test piece to see how that timber looked finished (have a large block of it waiting for me to get good enough not to waste it), the 2 darker bowls in 2nd row back are from old fence posts. The walking stick blank at the back was turned using a "Don't try this at home" method, between centers right hand holding my largest and sharpest gouge on the rest while my left hand went around the stick to steady it while left thumb helped guide the gouge. The timber it is made from is very hard and dense so takes a bit of time.
I'm starting to get the hang of it, and loving every minute spent at it.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:39 am

Hi Fergus
Whose been a busy boy then? The projects look superb from here so just carry on on doing what your doing. Using fingers to support a thin piece of work, by the way, is a recognised technique so the 'Don't do this at home' tag can be dispenced with.
Best
Brian

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:51 am

Very nice, Fergus!

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]