Woodturning Online

Woodworking Online Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Turning a walking cane?

Post Turning a walking cane?
I'm looking for instructions on how to turn a walking cane. Particularly attaching the handle and the foot to the cane after it has been turned.
I've seen the kits in turning catalogs, but am not sure how it all pieces together. Thanks!!!!!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:52 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Turning a walking cane?
If you have a specific kit that you plan to use, we could talk about that.

When I make canes, I usually use a rubber foot that I buy at Lowes or Home Depot. I either use 3/4" or 1" for the bottom size.

When I make my own handles, I attached them to the cane shaft using a dowel screw which I also buy at Lowes, or Home Depot or my closet hardware store. They look like this:

I like the dowel screws that have room in the middle to put a wrench on them, that way you can screw in the cane side with the wrench first and then twist the handle on the top. If a wrench doesn't fit, I often resort to vise grips!

I hope this helps and can explain more if you have more questions!!

Dennis

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm
Profile WWW

The dowel pictured is good for one-time assembly. If you have plans to disassemble and reassemble, use a glued threaded insert and the machine thread dowel.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm
Site Admin

Can you help me understand when someone would knock down a cane? I'm at a loss to understand this? Maybe for traveling?

All of my canes are about 36" long and I can't see why I would ever disassemble one...

Not being wise, just trying to understand how it might help someone...

Thanks,

Dennis

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm
Profile WWW

I turn quite a few canes/walking sticks and am in the middle of building my first swordstick.
My process is
Bore a 1ins deep hole in the bit of wood chosen for the handle ( the diameter is less than stick size)
Turn a mandrel the size of the hole, make this a firm push fit, hold mandrel in chuck and turn handle
Once stick is turned cut a spigot the same size as the mandrel at the thick end and another at the skinny end for your foot ( i usually do a small one and put an automotive frost plug on there, rubber boot goes over this)
Once everything is coated/finished/polished a few drops of pva and assemble
Hope this helps
For a cane that breaks down you could try and source those joiners they use for pool cues

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Use different handles for cosmetics or hiking iron end versus rubber civilized. Only couple I've encountered.

If it's going to remain together, no need to weaken the wood by installing a fastener. Mortise/tenon, and glue.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:39 am
Site Admin

Yes, a mortise and tenon with glue would be a great solution!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:50 am
Profile WWW

Ahh yes the Mortise/tenon, not being a woodworker as such I am not familiar with the correct terms, so replace hole and spigot with Mortise/tenon in my above post

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:46 pm
Site Admin

Hole and Spigot works for me!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:02 pm
Profile WWW

Mayby take a look at this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZLyQKmOBvo

Good luck

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 pm

admin wrote:
Can you help me understand when someone would knock down a cane? I'm at a loss to understand this? Maybe for traveling?

All of my canes are about 36" long and I can't see why I would ever disassemble one...

Thanks,

Dennis

I am with you on this. I don't see many reasons to need to disassemble it. The one area where it might be nice is to swap tops on ot or change handles. That is about it though. You wouldn't even need to take it apart to travel. It should fit in a medium sized duffle bag. Build it to suit your needs and it sounds as if you don't need to break it down.

Last edited by JohnK on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Quote:
admin wrote:

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis, I'm a Disabled Veteran plus a diabetic. Many temporary conditions for some, ie: edema, neuropathy, need help with balance, come and go. I start out not needing a cane, then when I need it I quickly put it together. I will use it for awhile, then sit down for an hour or so, put it on my camera case and keep on moving. A great device to have.......

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]