Woodturning Online

Woodworking Online Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Box Scrapers

Post Box Scrapers
Hey turners, i have just brought a square scraper and ground it down shaped like the sorby version of a box scraper
problem being that i seem to get a lot of tear out in the side grain on boxes? have i gone wrong somewhere? i kept the same angle on the side as the end. any tips? cheers in advance.....

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:04 am

Post Re: Box Scrapers
Here is what works for me. I sharpen my scraper. Then I hollow out the box with a detail gouge and then use the box scraper with a plunge cut along the inside left side taking small cuts of no more than 1/4". The cutting edge of the scraper is at dead center. I get a very smooth cut with no tear out. Is this what you are doing?

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:39 pm
Profile WWW

hey thanks for the reply. my yhinking was to be using the scraper to enlarge the hollow so perhaps i am taking too much at a time by the sound of it. i am a novice, and a moron. i will try to learn the detail gouge better, hopefully that will be the answer. cheers buddy

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 am

sorry i didn't explain that i was using the scraper to keep the edge square? cheers

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:05 am

With scrapers you do not want more than half of the cutting edge cutting at one time, as a general rule of thumb. I just find it so much easier to do bulk hollowing of end grain boxes with a spindle gouge with a swept back lady finger grind. I always drill a 1/4" depth hole to start. I start with the flute up at about 11:00 o'clock and the cutting edge at center height. I enter the hole and sweep from the center to the outside (swing handle to the right) in a pivot. This causes the left edge of the spindle gouge to slice the fibers. I take light cuts!

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]