Woodturning Online

Woodworking Online Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
sphere with trapped marble

Post sphere with trapped marble
Hello folks,
I've been turning now for approximately 2 months and loving every minute that I'm in the shed, which I share with my hubby(when he can get in it).Anyway I am wanting to know how to make these spheres with the trapped marble/s in them.I have searched on the net and can't find them.Can anyone out there direct me to a site or send me details on how to make them.many thanks and happy turning.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:28 am
Site Admin

Post Trapped marble
I'm not sure that I can picture the object that you mention... do you have a picture of one??

The only thing that comes to mind based on your description is a "Chinese Ball"... something like this??

Am I close??

Dennis

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:50 am
Profile WWW

She is reffering to inside out turnings with an item added to the hollow. I am wanting to start making these also, just can't afford a chuck right now.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Inside-out turning
Oh, it should have dawned on me!! Thanks, Dan!

I've done inside out turning. They are actually a lot of fun. I've never put anything into them though. Lots of people create images in the turning, like the second one here.

Here is one project page on how to do them:
http://gulfcoastwoodturners.org/RESOURCES/Hollow%20Ornaments%20-%20Inside-Out.pdf

I hope this helps,

Dennis

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:50 am
Profile WWW

Thanks very much for the replies.The item I am referring to is a sphere shape with a channel cut out of it all the way round with a marble trapped inside the channel ,the marble can be moved around the channel freely but cannot be removed.only picture I have seen was on the front of woodturning magazine april 95,the magazine had an article in it about the chap who had made it but nothing on how to make them.I saw some on a stall at the Brixham steam rally earlier this year,can't remember the exhibitors name but he had some amazing items there. Thanks again.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:58 am
Site Admin

Post Do you mean something like this??
Do you mean something like this where there is a ball in a cage and the ball can move around freely???

If the answer is yes, this is done by carving, not by turning!! There are ways to do it with turning but requires custom tools along the lines of the chinese balls that I showed earlier...

Please let us know if we're getting close :-)

Dennis

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:12 am
Profile WWW

Your description sounds like something that could be done with a split turning if I understand you correctly. Similar to the "inside out" ornaments that Dennis posted but using only two pieces rather than four. The channel for the marble would be formed as a deep cove with the sides undercut so the opening on the surface of the spindle would be narrower than the maximum width of the channel. The turning could then be split apart on the glue line, the marble inserted into the channel and the pieces glued back together.

Good Luck!
Bob

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Here is the example...
Kath sent me the picture that she had and I'm posting it for her!!

Now what do you think??

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:53 am
Profile WWW

Aha! Multi-axis split turning! :) Glue up the blank with a brown paper joint. Turn the sphere. Form the channel as a deep, undercut cove. Rotate the sphere 90° and cut another channel. Rotate another 90 and cut the final channel. Split along the paper joint and insert the marbles before re-gluing permanently.

Piece of cake as long as the original sphere is absolutely perfect (yeah, right) and the channels can be cut without breaking out where they cross (again, yeah, right) and you can re-glue without slippage or squeeze-out.....

:D
Bob

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Profile WWW

OK Bob, Now that we have identified the monster and you understand how it was done, you're elected. Go ahead and turn one, make sure you photo all the steps and post it back here. Oh and Thanks for volunteering. :twisted:

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:54 pm
Profile WWW

Many ManyThanks for that info.I was led to believe that these were turned from a single piece with no mention of any splitting & glueing.Thanks again Lads.kath

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:57 am
Site Admin

Post Could be??
If they were turned from one piece, then the could have been mounted on the lathe and cut using a router bit. You'd have to turn the sphere first and then mount it between centers, cut the first channel. Rotate the sphere and cut the second channel... However, I'm not sure when or how they would have gotten the marbles in...

Is the original document around somewhere in hardcopy?? It's an interesting puzzle!!

Dennis

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:11 am
Profile WWW

Might be easier to stick a couple of marbles in a sapling and wait twenty years. Be sure to mark where you put the marbles. Then just cut that section out and turn it!

I always did take the lazy way out. :wink:

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:23 pm
Profile WWW

Might be easier to stick a couple of marbles in a sapling and wait twenty years. Be sure to mark where you put the marbles. Then just cut that section out and turn it!

I always did take the lazy way out. :wink:
I like this idea!!!! :lol:

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 pm
Profile WWW

The problem with the router bit idea is that you would first have to plunge the bit to depth, which would create a hole big enough for the marbles to pass through. While that would solve the problem of getting the marbles in, it would also let them back out unless you could patch the hole somehow.

Bob

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next